For online gaming, player onboarding and Know Your Customer (KYC) processes are critical components of player engagement, retention, and compliance. Effective onboarding ensures that players can easily and quickly start playing games, while KYC helps protect operators from fraud, money laundering, and underage gambling. However, these processes can also create friction for players, leading to drop-offs and abandonment. In this article, we explore the top 3 ways to win at player onboarding and KYC, making the process smoother and more efficient.
Simplify the Onboarding Process
The first step to winning at player onboarding is to simplify the process as much as possible. This means reducing the number of steps required to create an account, verify identity, and start playing games. Here are some tips to simplify the onboarding process:
- Use a single registration form: Rather than having players fill out multiple forms for personal information, contact details, and payment methods, use a single form that collects all necessary data.
- Offer social login: Allow players to sign up using their social media profiles, such as Facebook or Google. This eliminates the need for players to create a new account and enter their personal information manually.
- Use autofill: Make use of browser autofill functionality to pre-populate fields such as name, address, and phone number, using data from previous form submissions.
- Provide clear instructions: Provide clear instructions on how to complete the onboarding process, including what information is required and how long it will take. This helps set player expectations and reduces frustration.
By simplifying the onboarding process, operators can reduce the time it takes for players to start playing games, making the experience more engaging and enjoyable.
Streamline KYC Verification
While KYC verification is essential for online gaming operators to meet regulatory requirements, it can also create friction for players. Verification processes can be time-consuming and require players to submit sensitive personal information, which can lead to mistrust and abandonment. Here are some ways to streamline KYC verification:
- Use Identity verification API: Verification API solutions, such as document and identity verification services, can help automate the verification process and reduce the need for manual reviews. This can speed up the verification process and reduce the time required for players to start playing games.
- Offer multiple verification options: Provide players with multiple options for verification, including document uploads, video calls, and in-person verification at retail locations. This gives players flexibility and convenience in the verification process.
- Provide clear instructions: As with onboarding, provide clear instructions on how to complete the verification process, including what information is required and how long it will take. This helps set player expectations and reduces frustration.
By streamlining KYC verification, operators can reduce the time it takes for players to start playing games, while still meeting regulatory requirements.
Personalize the Onboarding Experience
Personalization is a key component of player engagement and retention. By personalizing the onboarding experience, operators can create a more engaging and enjoyable experience for players, reducing abandonment rates and increasing retention. Here are some ways to personalize the onboarding experience:
- Use player data to personalize content: Use player data, such as location and language preferences, to personalize onboarding content. This can include language translations, localized payment options, and customized welcome messages.
- Provide personalized recommendations: Use player data, such as game preferences and playing history, to provide personalized game recommendations. This can help players find games they enjoy more quickly and reduce frustration.
- Offer personalized promotions: Use player data, such as deposit history and loyalty program status, to offer personalized promotions and bonuses. This can incentivize players to continue playing games and increase retention.
By personalizing the onboarding experience, operators can create a more engaging and tailored experience for each player, increasing the likelihood of retaining them in the long term.
In conclusion, player onboarding and KYC processes are essential for online gaming operators to comply with regulatory requirements and protect against fraud and underage gambling. However, these processes can create friction for players, leading to abandonment and lost revenue. By simplifying the onboarding process, streamlining KYC verification, and personalizing the onboarding experience, operators can reduce friction, increase engagement, and improve retention rates. These strategies can help operators win at player onboarding and KYC, creating a more enjoyable and efficient gaming experience for players.
Try IDcentral’s KYC Platform built for Skill Gaming & Real Money Gaming
Sumanth Kumar is a Marketing Associate at IDcentral (A Subex Company). With hands-on experience with all of IDcentral’s KYC and Onboarding Technology, he loves to create indispensable digital content about the trends in User Onboarding across multiple industries.